Waiting In The Wings

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Memory Quilts - Happy Days 1

A few things going on around here has meant
that quilting has been on the back burner, however,
this gave me time to really sit and think about my quilting.

I love making quilts that have a story, I've long thought about
a series of quilts on my childhood memories, 
places and people who meant so very much to me.

The one in progress here is the first
Happy Days 1
the story I shall tell when the quilt is sewn together.


Above are the first two rows with strips separating, the
blocks in the second row are not yet sewn up, I've been
playing around to get them in an order which pleased me.

The third row is just beginning and those of you who read
my blog regularly will remember my stars begun for RSC 2016
but never completed!!


These are a perfect fit for my story, still a work in progress
so not a chocolate box photo shot


and the small square between the two stars
will be appliqued.

Apologies for the oversized letters, no time
left tonight to resize them.
I eventually have my camera in working order again but
now see I need to reduce the font size after having used the camera
set up on my iPad for a little while.

That's all from me for a few days, see you soon and have
lots of happy quilting time!

Maureen

14 comments:

Nancy J said...

Those rows and colours are truly beautiful, lots of Kaffee?? Hope all is Ok with you both, very cold nights and early mornings here, 10.30 p.m, one of those nights when I don't sleep well, about 1C!!!

Debbie said...

Ah, I think this quilt is going to take flight and be a stunning success. Why? You have a story to tell and that personal expression will be a strong driving force. And you will be able to make your mark with your special sense of color and fabrics. I am looking forward to this adventure:)

Julierose said...

What a wonderful idea--loving your work so far! A great way to preserve your happy memories...a gentle reminder of the "good times"....hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You have some wonderful beginnings there.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love the idea of making quilts that have meaning to you -- really like the startings of this one.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love the way you are going with this Maureen! I guess I use colour in a certain way too, but find it hard to put 'me' into things like this!

Kaja said...

This is a wonderful idea and I love what you have got so far. It's nice to see those stars again, and they'll sit beautifully with your first rows - can't wait to see your progress.

Leeanne said...

Pretty.....clever fussy cutting.

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

I'm looking forward to the story telling. As per your fabric and colour selections are divine.

Sally Trude said...

Based on what you have started here...I want your childhood! (And mine was quite fine, no complaints here).

Ann said...

Adding the squares between the stars is a good idea. And the placement makes the white look like a small border. The white lightens your quilt but you don't need so much of it.
I look forward to the story behind these rows. You inspire me to start one myself.

Julie said...

Can't wait to hear the stories behind this quilt. Loving what I am seeing so far. You must have a pretty amazing Kaffe stash!!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Lots of fabulous floral fabrics in these projects. I like the square appliqued between the stars.

gayle said...

I'm looking forward to both the story and the quilt! I love the way you play with color.