Waiting In The Wings

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Kaleidoscopes and colour - a bit heavy on photos!

A big thank you for all the encouragement you gave me after
my last post and the borders are on,
I couldn't get a good full photo so we'll have to make do
with a quarter shot


on a bit of angle - sorry.
  This is the third kaleidoscope quilt I've made and like most kids
I had a toy kaleidoscope which fascinated me.
A few years ago I bought a modern version of the kiddies
"turning the end"model and later another which relies on a huge
marble held at one end and manually rotated. I worked
out how to take photographs of the patterns created - not
an easy task - I've taken a photo of a photo to show you.



I have shots of some amazing patterns, the photos above don't do justice
to the colour.

I love colour, as you all know, in my fabric choices, the sky scenes
and garden flowers. Two days ago I noticed a stream of light hitting
one of my cyclamen and the stem seemed translucent


love this peep of red amongst the greenery.

My husband paints in oils, acrylics and watercolour, I love
watercolour and the strangest things attract me.
He was about to clean off his palette one day when I shrieked to him
to stop, I loved the effect of all the colours used
blending in together.



Another of my favourite colour fixes comes from posts by my internet friend 
Alison Crosthwaite  in the UK. Alison is a spinner and weaver and also a painter,
I rub my hands with glee when I see one of her posts, they explode with colour.
She's just published a book and whilst it's not about quilting I wanted
to quickly show you the cover.


If you're interested
you can see how wonderfully Alison uses colour by visiting
her blog
alisonsartweave.blogspot.co.uk

That's all from me, hope you've managed to get through
all the photos!
Enjoy the weekend.
Maureen

23 comments:

gayle said...

I always get a good color fix when I come here! You beautiful kaleidoscope is a perfect illustration of that - I love it!

Julie said...

Love the borders on your quilt. So glad you embrace colour in your life, so many people play it safe, but colour can bring so much joy.

Leeanne said...

Magic! The colours in the paint are worth shrieking about, pretty. Your Kaleidoscope quilt has come up a million bucks........now for quilting?

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The colors on the palette are like lovely batiks. I love your Kaleidoscope quilt and the border is perfect for it

Quiltdivajulie said...

Her colors are indeed marvelous!!! Beautiful kaleidoscope quilt top -- even if we can only see 1/4 of it (grin).

audrey said...

Great finish! The borders are perfect.🙂 Thanks for the link to more color inspiration!

Nancy J said...

When I was a child, I had a real wooden kaleidoscope, and thought it was so magical.Love your quilt, the pattern and your fabrics and border.And as for the paint swirls, how about he does some fabric for you? Beautiful.

Raewyn said...

Interesting post Maureen, and I love your quilt... hope we can get to see a full photo of it one day! I enjoy seeing what you do with colour!

Debbie said...

The quilt turned out beautiful. And the photos show your inspiration. I love it when we find inspiration in our lives that we can express thru our quilts. I love to repeat patterns and introduce variety of a twist. The detail in your garden is exactly a perfect inspiration.

Julierose said...

Just simply beautiful quilt--the colors move and swish in just like in a kaleidoscope--so perfect!! Your choices of colors work so well...
I took a peek at your friend's blog posting--WOW is all i can say--talk about gorgeous colors there, too...thanks hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wow, what a fresh color quilt! It truly resembles a kaleidoscope. Thanks for sharing. I paint watercolors and the main reason I chose them is the unexpected blend of colors.

Cathy said...

Love it! I find it inspiring! I love kaleidoscopes too - quilts and the toy.
You are right about Alison and color. Wow!

Louise said...

It's beautiful, Maureen! Great border! I share your love of vibrant color, it just makes us happy, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing Allison's blog, I'm off now to check it out.

O'Quilts said...

wonderful wonderful post...great on the kaleidoscope...and I love the header on your blog...and I love the water color....guess I just like you!!!

Kaja said...

It looks great! Thanks for the link to Alison's blog- I hadn't come across her before but I've had a look and I love what she's doing.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love your kaleidoscope quilt, the border looks great! A colourful post Maureen, thanks for sharing!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Thats not too many photos at all!! So much lovely colour to enjoy. I love the watercolour swirls, they look like pretty hand dyed fabric.

Clare M said...

totally gorgeous Maureen. The colours are wonderful.

Ann said...

As always you share your love of color in your quilts and garden. So lovely. I like the way your kaleidoscope strips are rotated from the ones we usually see.

Rayna said...

Hi Maureen,
A quater-shot is gorgeous enough that our minds can see the whole thing. I can't even imagine making anything that big!! Beautiful.

Kate said...

Love all the colors and scrappiness! Congrats on a beautiful finish.

Janie said...

Thanks for sharing your photos! I love color too, that's why I visit your blog.
You're right that red stem is glowing. And those water color mixes, wow.
Beautiful cover on Alison's book, I'll visit her blog.
I got my color fix.

Sally Trude said...

What a wonderful border for your kaleidoscope. I have never been a fan of roses until finally arriving in Portland...the city of roses. They are everywhere and gorgeous. I think I may also be in a great climate for hydrangeas...when I have a garden again!