Waiting In The Wings

Friday, November 29, 2013

Midnight At The Oasis - should be a Churn Dash border!

The post header says it all - a 3" finished Churn Dash border is the third one to be added, I did give it a go but the pieces were just too hard for my hand joints to deal with, even tried on foundation but still no joy. Sharon had used some of a favourite fabric for one of her borders instead of appliqué and thought what a clever girl! You can see I took a leaf out of her book, my non-Churn Dash section is made up of a fabric which I loved the instant I set eyes on it,  it's the same one used in my flying geese border. I have about one and a half yards left in my stash so it will be used sparingly in the future.

"Desert Rose"

My camera is playing up so this was taken with my iPhone by my husband, the light from the window hits my design wall and mid morning shots are better lit really but this was taken in the afternoon and the top of the quilt looks slightly darker than the bottom half, must be better organised for photographing.

Below is a close up shot of the fabric and you can see there is a pattern there and I just love the colours, it reminds me of a journey to NZ when I was 16 years old (a long, long time ago now) and we sailed by Suez and down through the Red Sea, I vividly remember the banks of sand and palms, resting on the deck rails absorbing these amazing sights and especially the sunsets.


John said the fabric reminded him of the "desert roses" he brought home for me from the times he was  in Al Ain and I thought  great idea no more having to think of a name for this quilt - problem solved!

I now have to box on and finish cutting for the nine patch style border,  I've done a few mock-up blocks and I think they'll be fine.

Sharon and Jess are the girls hosting this Quilt Along and we're all linking up, please go along and see how we are working this pattern. 

Back to nine patch 
Have a good weekend
Maureen

8 comments:

Sharon said...

Maureen, this is gorgeous! I love the deep rich colors you are using

Julierose said...

I just really love that fabric border--those colors remind me of what I dream the desert must be like....such a rich mix of gold, yellow, reds etc...it really looks wonderful with your MATO. hugs, Julierose

imquilternity said...

Your quilt is really coming along beautifully. I love the colors! Guess what?? I have that same fabric and have always loved it! Wish I could get more of it!! Great minds think alike?? :) I think you might have been very smart not to tackle the churn dash blocks - I've only got about four blocks made and am very seriously considering doing something else. Those pieces are so tiny, tiny, tiny!

Carli The Quilter said...

I love the way we are mostly changing things as we go along and that is so wonderful. I love your choices here on the MOTO quilt. I'm linking up with your quilt in my post on my progress of the MOTO. Love your fabric choices!

Beth in MN said...

Your border fabric is absolutely fabulous. Changes are such design opportunities. I love what you have done so far.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is a beautiful batik and a great addition to this quilt.

Caroline said...

Wonderful idea and it looks fab!

Jo said...

Looking good. I have been thinking baout Sharon's one fabric border too. I am doing the churn dashes but think I might replace the checkered border with a print. My quilt is looking a little too busy I love the look the one fabric border gives the MATO. Good choice